Rethymnon, Our Lady of the Angels
Following Nicephorou Phoca Street from the Rimondi Fountain, we come to the church of Our Lady of the Angels ("Kyria ton Angelon"). It was built by the Dominican Friars at the end of the Venetian period and dedicated to Mary Magdalene.
The Turks converted it into a mosque with the addition of a mihrab (prayer niche) and a minaret. From 1917 onwards it has been a Greek Orthodox church dedicated to Our Lady of the Angels.
Locals of Rethymnon also call it the "Mikri Panagia" (Little Virgin), to distinguish it from the main Cathedral of the Panagia.