The Labyrinth Of Messara In Crete: The Inscriptions Of The Labyrinth
In recent years the inventorying, photographing, taping and printing
of the inscriptions discovered in the Labyrinth were made possible
only after repeated working visits by the Cretan department of the
Hellenic Speleological Society, headed by Mr. Kaloust Paragamian.
There are many caves in Greece where visitors wrote on the walls
(Golden Cave of Folegandros, the ancient quarries of Paros, the Melithoni
Cave, etc.) but nowhere are the inscriptions so many.
As a rule, the visitors wrote on the walls of the
chambers - mostly
the more distant ones. However, there are inscriptions also on corridor
walls and on the stones of the drywalls.
Thusly, most inscriptions are found in the "Hall of the Minotaur," the "Uphill
Hall," the "Water Chamber," the "Cave of Grotto," the
Ceremony Hall," the "Downhill Hall" - but mostly in
the "Altar Chamber."
The "Altar Chamber", is the most isolated
and distant chamber from the two entrances, and was the last stop
for most of the Labyrinth visitors. Because of that fact, it became
the most popular place for inscriptions. There are so many writings
and signatures on the "Altar Chamber" walls that many overlap
each other many times over, resulting, unfortunately,
in the older inscriptions being lost forever.
A great number of the visitors have written their names and dates
of visits, while many more inscribe their place of origin (village,
city or country). Some also state their occupations.
Most inscriptions (53%) have been written in pen; a large number
(39%) are etched in one way or another. The very old ones are made
in charcoal or etched or written with a kind of brick coloured wax.
In the "Altar Chamber," the Cretan department
of the speleological team inventoried about 1,200 readable inscriptions.
Among these, there is still the etched chronology, 1444, which Tournefort
saw in 1700. Also kept in good condition is the inscription: Quifu
el strenuo Signor Zan de Como capno de la Fanteria (Here was
the very important Mr. Zan from Como [ Northern Italy ] captain of
the Fanteria) but the chronology of 1526 has been erased.
On the other hand, only a few letters ( . . . TADEUS NICOLAU
. . .) remain from the charcoal-written inscription: P.
FRANCESCO MARIA PESARO CAPUCINO. FRATER TADEUS NICOLAUS 1539.
Also, of the five dates which Tournefort mentions in his report
(1495, 1516, 1560, 1579 and 1699), only the last one survives today,
together with the name, Ikonomou. Some of the inscriptions
are true works of art with intricate borders, while other even bear
the writer's coat-of-arms.
Unfortunately, the surviving old inscriptions are very few. Most have
been destroyed either by normal wear and tear or due to the fact that
many later visitors wrote over the older ones. In total, the number
of legible inscriptions in the cave surpasses 2,000. With an unknown
number of older ones being lost forever, one can only surmise as to
how many visitors throughout the centuries have actually visited the
NOTE. This story comes from the book "The
Labyrinth of Messara" by Kaloust Paragamian and Antonis Vasilakis.
English translation by Lou Duro for ExploreCrete.com - ALL RIGHTS